[ale] [OT] AJC Article on State Welfare System

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Sun Aug 25 20:01:36 EDT 2002

Anyone have ideas on how to create a computer system to track all the
state's DFACs cases?  I read the article on page A1, and thought that
surely Open Source software could provide an optimal solution to this
problem.  Do you think MySQL or Postgresql could handle the load?  Maybe
FreeBSD running on some enterprise-class hardware, and the latest
version of MySQL tied in with openssl to encrypt all communication in
and out of the database across the wire?

If you (ALE) don't think this is a discussion worth having, I'll
understand.  It just seems stupid for the state to have spent so much
money over 9 years, and still have nothing to show.

Jonathan Glass