[ale] Gentoo

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Sun Aug 25 15:29:04 EDT 2002

I just got this response from the Gentoo list on memory requirements...

**********************************
I can only speak from personal experience, but 32MB was not enough for
me.  If I remember correctly, I poked around and found that the root
partition was mounted as a 22MB ramdisk.  (Is that right?)  If so, it
would explain a lot.  My install would fail trying to decompress the
ISO image and load Linux.

The workaround I came up with is to use "tomsrtbt" boot disk.  Follow
the steps given under the Gentoo Boot Floppy HOW-TO.  Once the base
system is built, you can reboot into Gentoo fine.  I only use the
machine as a firewall though; results may vary.

So, it appears that 32MB may not work if you are using the Gentoo boot CD,
but will if you are using a boot floppy.

I will say this again...

With only 32MB, the install process will take a LONG time - we are talking
days, here...

Charles