[ale] guess I am screwed, eh?

Ankur Chatterjee ankur at 5sc.com
Sun Aug 25 12:31:31 EDT 2002

Cade - I just graduated from Tech three weeks ago with a *management*
degree. Everything I know and use in my new job, I have either learned
from the long list of computer-related positions I have held in my past,
or by reading books and looking it up on the web. I am gainfully
employed as a network engineer at a local company, and I use none of the
skills that I learned in school in this particular job. HOWEVER- outside
of my full-time position, there are ample opportunities to develop
business relationships and develop other revenue streams. I know
CS/CompE majors that graduated 2 years ago that are still unemployed,
with higher final GPAs and more technical knowledge than I.

Your degree is a piece of paper. The skills you learn in school are
helpful to a point. No one ever rose to the top just off the reputation
of their degree, except those bastards at the Ivy Leagues and MIT, like
my brother. It helps, but you have to bolster your skills in the
specializations that you are passionate about. I'm somewhat technical,
by no means an expert. I have business skills however, and that is tough
to come by in the computer industry oftentimes. Tailor your career to
what you want it to be. Good luck!

--
    Best Regards,
    Ankur Chatterjee