[ale] [OT] Thin clients (Was: Re: [ale] LinuxInGASchools meeting this Sunday at 2:30pm)

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 23 22:43:16 EDT 2002

I was planning on going to demo a couple of systems some of you may find
interesting, but I realized it wouldn't have been very polite of my part
to show up only to sell stuff. I'll not be able to attend anyway.

In case someone is interested, I have about 200 machines (actually even
more) that are really useful as thin clients. They come in two
configurations:

Very small desktop, can also be stand.
Pentium 200 ~ 233MMX
16 ~ 32 mb of core
2 megs of video ram
1 ~ 2 Gigs of harddrive
USB
100 Mbit Ethernet
3 slots (2 PCI 1 ISA), only 2 usable at the same time
Couple serial ports
Parallel port

/*****************/

Even smaller, can also be in "tower" position.
486DX 66Mhz
1 meg of video ram
12 ~ 16 megs of core
400 ~ 500 megs of hardrive
10 Mbit Ethernet
1 ISA slot
Couple serial ports
Parallel port

The first model goes for 80 dollars, 70 without the hardrive.  The
second goes for 55, 50 with no hardrive. A nice thing of the first one,
is the USB port, useful for a memory stick / smartcard reader, for
authentication and / or home directory.

I'm also sure the prices are flexible depending on the amount wanted.

If anyone is interested in that demo, just let me know and I'll set it
up somewhere.

 -- Jsb