[ale] Should filesystems have undelete (was Get paid for undelete on ext3 help)

Bao C. Ha bao at hacom.net
Fri Aug 23 11:49:45 EDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 09:45:22AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:

The simplest approach is to patch the system call unlink(), I
think.  Just move the delete stuff into a temprorary area and
flush it after 7 days.

Versioning requires a different mindset to use it effectively.
When I was using VMS and Genera, I always deleted, flushed, and
moved the version back to 1, while cursing whoever design the
"inconvenient" filesystems.

The principle of undelete process in a Unix system is the same
as in DOS.  If you can find the first inode intact, I believe
you can just follow it.  Unfortunately, a Linux filesystem is
so dynamic that unless you immediately bring the system down and
remount the file sstem as read-only, you probably loose it
already.

Anyway, I believe Midnight Commander has an undelete feature for
ext2, presumbly it should also work with ext3.  Debian also has
a package called "recover", which can be used to "undelete".
Supposedly, there is an ext2-undeletion howto, that documents a
recover process.

Bao

--
Bao C. Ha                    voice: (310) 980-3805
8D66 6672 7A9B 6879 85CD  42E0 9F6C 7908 ED95 6B38