[ale] Get paid for undelete on ext3 help

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Aug 22 15:47:40 EDT 2002

Who has successfully undeleted information from ext3 and will guide me through
the process?

I can get to the point where I see the attributes of the deleted file, but I
cannot read the contents once I dump the file. The question is not rhetorical
and I can pay $ for the help.

Drew
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

<extra unnecessary words . . .>
ALE, 08-22-02 1359
Well, I learned more about how to undelete data on an an ext3 partition.
I learned volumes more about the Linux community. Summary of responses:

Unfortunately,
1. Joe Bayes mentioned that there were speling and punctuation, errors.
2. James III and phrostie gave automotive hypotheticals.
3. Fletch and Geoffrey used gun hypotheticals.
4. Matthew, Geoffrey and Chris Fowler pointed out how Windows *can* loose
data.

Fortunately,
1. Bao mentioned the problem should be solved.
2. Fletch gave a future solution  (replace rm with mv [file] /tmp)
3. John Wells actually pointed me to a site that I had not seen before that
*could* help me recover the data.

The car hypotheticals (from the responses) were not appropriate, however the
gun examples were. Some guns can discharge if you drop them. In the past,
this was more of a problem. Now (I believe) that there is a LAW that requires
gun manufacturers to put 5-6 pound pull on the trigger. In Linux, the
equivolent would be to create a command "del" which moves data to the tmp
directory.

I am hoping that one day, linux lovers will stop being sooo defensive. I am in
fraterities that exclude others in the general population with esoteric
secrets. Should Linux lovers pride themselves *primarily* in the secrets we
have and the ability to "figure it out?" Is that all we have to make
ourselves feel good about ourselves? Is it an operating system, or a secret
society?

My ex girlfriend recently got her (unlocked) car stolen from downtown
(Windows). I thought it would be nice if my car was made more secure by
adding a kill switch (Linux on FAT32). Some Linux Lovers seem to support
having a key pad on the door that changes it entry code each time you shut
the door. (Linux ext3)

LOTS of security there . . . but, you don't get to go on many dates (do I see
a parallel here) because your date is not impressed that you (like to take
the time and) can figure out how to get in your car after a movie. At some
point, it becomes impractical to have to take lots of time to "figure out how
to use." Ultimately, the best security is not to store the data at all.

We must realize that only Lusers personally attack someone for not being able
to figure something out - especially when the Luser does not know or offer a
SOLUTION.

Hopefully, I (with help) will figure out how to undelete data on ext3. And
when I do, I will post the directions in a format that a newbie can
understand. I will be part of the solution.
Drew
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com