[ale] home networking difficulties

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 22 13:18:31 EDT 2002

Joseph A. Knapka wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>You might try networking the Linux box to itself.  That is, set the two
>>nics to be in the same subnet and connect them both to the hub.  This
>>way you might reduce the possible issues substantially.  From that
>>point, you could verify the cables/cards are functional.
>

> Does that work? I'm under the impression that the Linux network
> layer, confronted with this situation, will just say, "Oh,
> both IPs point to this machine, so there's no reason to
> actually touch any hardware."

I seem to recall doing this.  I believe if you ping ip1 from ip2, it's
going to go through the wire.  Does it really know that both ip's are
connected to the same machine.  Rather, does it check it, I doubt it.
Certainly it knows, but I find it unlikely that it checks for it.  Hmmm,
now you've got me thinking of retesting it myself.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net