[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users?

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Wed Aug 21 15:05:50 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 01:35 pm, rhia wrote:

<excellent points snipped>

> Migrating an existing Win9x/NT/2K userbase to Linux most definitely
> would have to include the GUI eyecandy, as *that is how they perceive
> office computers to be used and useful*.   Ignoring the human factor in
> that could very well bring the company to a screeching halt until
> *everyone* was retrained.  Everyone includes the all-too-busy CEO and
> upper management as well as Sales, HR, Marketing, Billing, PAYROLL.....
> that would Not a pretty picture.

Indeed, I think you will find the CEO and upper management to be the
most difficultt to bring on board. They may understand the cost savings, etc.,
but they are also likely to be the among the least technically inclined,
totally un-interested in the politics of Linux vs. Microsoft, and have little
motivation to spend their time re-learning how to use something which was
already working JUST FINE before the sys admin BROKE their computer.

Faced with a choice between leaning all this new stuff, and just
calling the sys admin in and firing his sorry ass, they are likely to
choose door #2.

Regards,
Irv