[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users?

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Aug 21 14:22:19 EDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:
Head on down a bit 8-)
> Thompson Freeman wrote:

Actually, I suspect that leaves MS _in_, because for all of the
things I _don't_ like about MS, I believe MS has tried to put the
features end users want - or at least think they want. How many current
users got their start under AppleDOS, CP/M, or MSDOS? Before Windows,
stability wasn't considered all that important - three finger salute and
go. When the basic multitaskers showed up for most people, Desqview,
MacOS, the early Windows (among others), stability _still_ wasn't all that
important, since people were discovering the power of having the machine
multi-task for them. (And some of us learned on mainframes, at locations
too cheap to purchase UPSs, and so regular crashes due to power surges
were a way of life 8-(). In otherwords, almost a quarter of a century or
better has passed during which many/most users got used to sloppy
unprofessional ways of doing things. (IMAO, of course). With MS having a
virtual desktop monopoly for the past almost 15 years, both in
applications and OS, I fault their management for not focusing on known
good engineering (stability, graceful degridation, security, etc) in favor
of the eye candy and the golly gewhiz features that are more popular. In
their defense, MS management grew up in the early erea of single task OSs,
and could not apparently learn the lessons from the earliest days of
computing from history.

Sorry to be rambling a bit here.

> Cheers,
>
> -- Joe
>   "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
>    sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
>    the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ingnorance
                   Author Unknown