[ale] Gentoo Linux install question

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Mon Aug 19 07:05:30 EDT 2002

Actually, I would suggest otherwise.

The way it was explained to me, there are a lot of files that are created
and then deleted during the process - your situation is probably that
whatever file/files that needed to get created couldn't be, so it bombed,
or, the files were deleted when you rebooted.

Bottom line - The hard disk requirements were told to me to be a *minimum*
of 1GB free space.  Now, this was on a single partition installation, and I
am waiting on something a bit more definitive on requirements for specific
directories like /tmp, /usr and /var, but these are the three directories
that the requirements are split between.

Anyway, I would say that this is, in fact, almost certainly your problem.

> Sure, and that was my intent.  I'd like to take
> advantage of some older hardware, and what better
> way then a custom compiled solution.  I don't
> care if the bloody thing takes a week to install.

Understood.  A bigger drive, and I think you'd still be able to install it
with 32MB of RAM.  I'd put it on a UPS though, if I were you - it'd really
suck to get 4 days into an install and have to start over because of a power
glitch.

>> One thing though - if you successfully install
>> Gentoo, at least you know your hardware is good,
>> cause if there are *any* weaknesses, these heavy
>> source compiles will find them.

> Yeah, and that's where I think I might be with this
> box. :(

I don't know... it might be worth one more try if you have a bigger drive
laying around... up to you though.

At least you're not getting so frustrated that you're giving up completely.

:)

Charles