[ale] (FA)Q: installed kernel SRPM - now what?

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Sat Aug 17 10:35:58 EDT 2002

Mike, James, et.al-

Thanks for the knowledgeable help on this, but it's starting to remind me
of the 4th-grader's book report that started out:
 "This book tells me more than I wanted to know about the elephant."

I need to add a boot image (2.4.18) of a newer generation than I'm using
(2.4.{7,9} in order to diagnose a functional problem [specifically my app
can't join a multicast group] which may be a version problem, but is more
likely due to destructive overlays from subsequent kernel and/or lib
installations.

Monday I'll get the proper SRPM, try the newer kernel (which works on
another box), and doubtless will still have the same functional problem.

I appreciate the help, but this is the wrong path for me.

Regards.
 - John Mills

On 16 Aug 2002, Mike Panetta wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 18:04, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > Mike (et al),
> >
> > the directories are created by one of the rpm rpm's The rpm-build is
> > needed to have them and to build from rpm*.src.rpm's
>
> Yup.
>
> I am so used to building the directory tree myself from building RPMS
> outside of /usr/src that I did not even think of this.