[ale] Building a server for a harsh-ish environment

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Fri Aug 16 22:00:39 EDT 2002

What about laptop CPUs?

I have a machine based on a K6-2+/500 (ostensibly a laptop CPU) and one
of the things I've noticed about it is that it doesn't run very hot.
Now, it's meant for a Socket 7 mobo, and that's pretty long in the
tooth, so you might look for more modern choices.  I know this doesn't
say much about at what absolute temperature it can run stably, but it's
a thought.

I do have a 1GHz t-bird that runs WAY too hot even with decent fans.  As
I speak, it's sitting with its CPU at 118F and a system temp of 87F, and
it only seems to crash on account of WinME and/or buggy apps (someday
I'm gonna check its heatsink mounting).

As for sources, there's always eBay.  That's where I got the K6-2+.

- Jeff