[ale] (FA)Q: installed kernel SRPM - now what?

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Fri Aug 16 18:20:19 EDT 2002

Jonathan -

Thanks for catching this.

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Jonathan Glass wrote:

> Did you try installing the kernel-source-2.4.18-5.rpm?  That is a bit
> different than the kernel.xxxx.src.rpm.

OOPS - that looks like what I _thought_ I was getting. I did a search on
RedHat for the file I _actually_ got, and didn't know the difference. I'll
go looking for the 'right animal', but maybe the answers to my 'how to do
it' question will teach me something. Or maybe I'll be able to build the
RPM. (Slow modem is no problem for a console session into the VPN.)  Or
maybe the horse _will_ sing ...

Also, getting the proper file will have to wait for Monday, since all ways
I could pass that file to its target involve a bottleneck through my Win98
laptop on a 28.8 modem where I'm sitting. I still haven't figured how to
get my linux box to successfully complete its VPN login. &8-(

 - John Mills