[ale] Making Windows stable via Linux

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 16 15:51:26 EDT 2002

Charles Marcus wrote:

> I don't think so.  Everything I've read suggests that Win4Lin (Win9x) on
> Linux is considerably *more* stable than pure Win9x.  And as an added bonus,
> if Windows crashes, it only crashes the Windows session - and you can get
> back up and running in 20-30 seconds.

I wonder: would I get better reliability out of my wife's
Win98 box, which is a total piece of sh*t, by running
something like Win4Lin or maybe VMWare with stock
Win98 on top? I'm thinking about an absolutely minimal
Gentoo or LFS install, whose only purpose is to host
a guest Windows session. At the very least, as you say,
the reboot time would go down from a couple of minutes
to a couple dozen seconds.

--
 "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
 sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and the