[ale] Request for information - how linux saves $$$

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Fri Aug 16 10:15:43 EDT 2002

Well, first, good for your location manager for taking the concept
seriously!!

Already having 60 Win2K licenses means that it's too late to REALLY get
a benefit from switching.  But, switching to Linux at the desktop now
will basically "break the chain," keeping the desktop OS costs from
ramping up both in terms of scaling (forget that Linux costs $0 - the
important thing is that n*$0 still equals $0!) and MS's machinations to
keep you sending them money.

You will still need per-seat or per-server MS Client Access Licenses
(~$30 each) for your workstations if you are using any MS servers.  If
you want to cut that cord as well, time to go after the servers.

- Jeff