[ale] Request for information - how linux saves $$$

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Fri Aug 16 09:56:31 EDT 2002

Here's the deal.  After forwarding this
(http://news.com.com/2100-1001-949913.html?tag=fd_top) article to our
location manager, he stopped by and said he'd like to take a look at how
much we actually could save by switching our desktops to Linux.  Now, I'm
tasked to draw up this comparison and need some help.

I understand there are dramatic savings to be reaped from a purchasing
standpoint, but what about from a conversion standpoint?  I'm not familiar
with the way the Microsoft licensing scheme works, and one of his
questions for me was "Well, if we already own 60 licenses for Win 2000,
how will it save us money to switch to Linux?".

I assume Microsoft hooks you by hanging upgrades over your head and
requiring you to upgrade your license, but I'm not sure.  I haven't paid
for a Microsoft os since 1996.

Can anyone provide more information?  Anyone out there done a cost/benefit
analysis for their company?

I *really* want to make this report a stellar, persuasive one.  If we
switch to Linux at our location and really show benefits from the
conversion, it could easily expand into much of the company.  We're
talking approx. 6000 employees internationally, and approx. 65 locally.
This is a real chance for a win!

Thanks,
John