[ale] (FA)Q: installed kernel SRPM - now what?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 15 19:52:50 EDT 2002

>From this point it really is rpm simple. run the command:

rpm -bb /usr/src/redhat/SPEC/kernel.spec  (as root, duh!)

On a dual PIII 500MHz, it takes about 40-45 minutes to make all of the
kernel rpms and modules.

When it's done chuggung, /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i[3456]86 directories will
contain your new kernel rpms.

For a serious exercise in rpm-how-to, dig through the spec file and grok
what is happening. Then add your own special patches!