[ale] bellsouth static ip

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Thu Aug 15 16:20:46 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble with Bellsouth and their static ip service.
I'm hoping somewhere here can lend some help. At the office, I've got a
smoothwall router setup to firewall the internal network from the DSL, an
Alcatel modem. We've been using dynamic ip addresses over PPPoE for awhile
now with no problem. We signed up with the static ip service and was told
that we simply needed to add a "%static" to the end of our ppp login name.
I've done this to no effect. Smoothwall continuously dials and never
connects which I take to be a login failure and retry. I've been on the
phone with Bellsouth for a few hours off and on since monday and they are
trying to imply that the problem is on my end. From what the three reps
I've spoke to said, I'm sure none of them have a clue whats going on. One
didn't know what linux was. Another used nslookup "to verify the
connection" (?!?) and asked me to hold while she "found out how much we
were on the network". So I want to make sure that I'm not offbase thinking
that if the dynamic setup works flawlessly with my smoothwall setup that
the static setup (using PPPoE, absolutely no different except for the
"%static" appended to the login name) should be any different. Does anyone
have this working? Anyone had troubles with bellsouth on this issue? Also
funny is this ip was supposed to be setup a few MONTHS ago before I came
on for some contract work, the first time I called to inquire as to why it
didn't work, they told me no record of the static ip request existed, yet
they could give me an ip that had been assigned at the time. Does that
make any sense at all?!? Anyway, thought I'd take this moment to gripe and
maybe get some insight from you guys.

Ben