[ale] Re: du help?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 15 14:28:35 EDT 2002

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> Thanx Geoffrey for the du help.
>
> For some reason, I am still at only 19% freespace on 6.9 gigs. Windows
> installs in less than 300MB. I wish there was a way to figure out - is there
> a way to du -m and have the directories and files listed in order by size?
>
> I just have to figure out where the space is being used. I just installed 7.2
> on another box, and my install left 21% of 6.9 gig. Is everyone else's 7.2
> install that big?

Very unlikely.  I'm beginning to wonder if your hard drive is not
properly recognized.  Post the following:

output of df
output of fdisk option 'p'

You can do the latter by either opening fdisk, select option p and then
cut/paste that info to a file/email window.
or the following will write the output to the file fdisk.out:

echo p\\nq |fdisk /dev/hda > fdisk.out

Also, check /var/log/messages for references to your hard drive.  Mine
looks like this:

hda: Maxtor 53073U6, ATA DISK drive
.
.
hda: 60030432 sectors (30736 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=3736/255/63, UDMA(33)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net