[ale] Removing Windows from a dual boot machine

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 14 22:44:17 EDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:30:11PM -0400, Eric T. Brubakken wrote:

> It's been a long time since I created my dual boot machine.  Now I want to remove the windows portion and reclaim that disk space for Linux.

Yes! Windependence!

> Is doing this as simple as removing lilo (lilo -u) and then running cfdisk to delete the Win95 partition and then create a new Linux partition?

I don't see why you should remove LILO. Just remove Windows' LILO entry
in /etc/lilo.conf, and run lilo. Then take away that partition, create a
Linux one instead, and reboot[1]. Then mkfs the new one, and you're set.

 [1] - The reboot is needed for the kernel to update the partition table,
which is the case for IDE devices, IIRC.

 -- Jsb