[ale] New Twiki topic LinuxInGASchools

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Aug 14 12:18:20 EDT 2002

Although Jeff did not actually say 'LTSP is a bad product', he most
certainly did blame LTSP for a misconfigured KDM.

> only that it may require some configuration tweaks
> in order to perform properly in a particular
> situation - just like any other piece of software.

Again.  LTSP does not install KDM.  LTSP has nothing whatsoever to do with
KDM (or GDM, or XDM), beyond the fact that it uses whatever login method is
defined by the System LTSP is installed on.

> Jeff's point, and Mike's restatement of that point,
> is just that requiring a user to deal with those
> issues is a recipe for disaster; they need to be
> addressed elsewhere, comprehensively, and be resolved
> long before the user has a chance to trip over them

Jeff's point was that a misconfigured KDM was the fault of LTSP.  He is the
one who said that, not me, and I didn't make it up.  When I tried to correct
him, he took umbrage, and proceeded to twist things around, instead of just
saying, 'yeah, OK, your right'.

The only problem I have with your statement above is, LTSP is a SERVER
application, and is most certainly *not* something the typical 'User' should
be installing as a first experience with Linux.  SERVER implementations
*always* require, to one degree or another, minimal System Administrative
skills.  So, in Jeff's situation - blame the KDE RPM maintainer, blame
Redhat, or blame the System Administrator (in this case, Mr. Jeff Hubbs),
but don't blame LTSP.

Do people yell about the need for a custom distro when someone else points
out that BIND requires someone with skills to configure it once it has been
installed?  Or would they blame BIND for the fact that Telnet was already
installed and port 23 was open?

Do ya'll get *my* point now?

Charles