[ale] SASIxp System Req'ts Interpreted (was Re: [ale] New Twikitopic LinuxInGASchools)

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Aug 13 08:18:00 EDT 2002

Oodles of old DOS apps are so simple minded that they can be redone with
a few hundred lines of tcl/tk in a text window.

Generating a replacement app is not the hardest issue. Migrating the
data over such that the existing staff is comfortable with the new setup
is the issue.

Wine may be a usable "glue" to let existing client apps run on Linux.
But wine code is headed for bug-to-bug compliance with the M$ API. It
has even been reported to be affected by some virus'. For this reason
alone, I advocate avoiding emulating a M$ environment.