[ale] Cheap motherboards in Atlanta

Greg runman at telocity.com
Mon Aug 12 23:14:13 EDT 2002

    Another store of parts : On the way to Ginstar I found Computer
Clearance Outlet.  5284 Jimmy Carter Blvd in Norcross.  770-448-8668 or
www.shopcco.com.  They had quite a bit of stuff.  Some was marked
"Defective".  Their website is not up to snuff, but the store had shelves of
just about every type of part.  BTW, MicroSeconds on Roswell no longer sells
motherboards. I would beware of any mobo purchase, however, as unfortunately
the motherboard I picked up today, a MSI 6191 from Computer Clearance
Outlet, is either kaput or my processor is fried.

    What am I looking for ?  I am looking for (ideally) an Asus K7V
motherboard to use to make a file server out of the plethora of old HD's I
have laying around the house.  I need a mobo that can handle a Slot A 700
MHz AMD Athlon with P100/133 memory so I can keep from having to buy any
more stuff.  I just recently acquired a case with a bunch of slots and a
power supply so I just need the guts to put in it.  So Ginstar is my next
stop and if no joy then Monarch in Stone Mountain, though some of their
stuff is factory refurbs.

   Since I don't have any other Slot A processors in the house I don't know
whether my old motherboard (Asus K7M) or processor (or both) are fried.
They both were involved in the incident this past weekend.  When I tried the
new case and power supply with the motherboard this past weekend I was ok
with just the floppy, the case fans, and the motherboard plugged into the
power supply, but when I plugged in a CDROM and several HD's (after
disconnecting the power), I was rewarded with the smell of burned components
and sudden death. So today when I put in RAM, a video card, hooked up a
keyboard and attached a power supply along with the panel hookups from a pc
and hit the pc's power switch I got ... nothing.  With the new motherboard I
just bought today I at least get power from the ATX to the processor fans,
so I suspect the processor is fried.  Dunno how, though.

Greg