[ale] Fw: [ale] Cheap motherboards in Atlanta

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 12 19:45:11 EDT 2002

If your CPU fan is still running when you hit the power switch on the
front of the box (the ATX soft power switch) then you probably only put
your machine into some sort of suspend mode.  When an ATX powersupply
(and thus an ATX system) is "off" the only power that comes out of it is
the +5V StandBy power.  The +5VSB as some of the PSU's call it is only
rated for up to 1Amp of current draw, and thus could not run the system
at all (not to mention the fact that most if not all CPU fans run off
12V).  So when an ATX machine is "off" for all intents and purposes it
is really OFF, IE the CPU is not running, none of the other devices are
(or shuld be) running, with the exception of the ones that use the
standby power to allow "wake on lan" or whatever type features.

Mike