[ale] Sun,Linux,Java, oh my

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Sun Aug 11 14:00:22 EDT 2002

	Java's slowness has nothing to do with being in the user space vs. kernel. Its a byte
code interpreted virtual machine. Now there have been and are currently (to some respect)
compilers that take Java source (or bytecode) and turn it into C or actual binary executables but
they don't seem to be able to keep up with the "standard" or fully support significant features of the
language specification. The gcc project, for example, has a basic java compiler but doesn't support
the gui stuff.

	FWIW - Linux has the ability to associate java programs with the jvm and run as if they
were normal executables but you're not going to get away from having to have that virtual machine
in there somewhere under linux. I was an early adopter of java but they made some really bad
decisions early on and have grown the thing too big and too fast without letting it stabilize and
mature natually. For java to last it's going to have to take a few steps back first or else it will
eventually go the way of PowerBuilder. Until then there are other options waiting in the wings to
take over...

	best regards,

		Ben Scherrey