[ale] Browser compatibility? (was: Wachovia web banking seems to be fixed with Mozilla)

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Aug 9 16:06:50 EDT 2002

Here's a burning question: just how far back should we web designers shoot
for in browser compatibility? The reason I'm asking is that the website I'm
designing for a client requires some JavaScript for the DHTML and also uses
CSS pretty heavily. MSIE >= 5.0 and Netscape >= 6.0 seem to like what I've
done so far, but Netscape 4.7x totally chokes on the DHTML JavaScript and
almost totally ignores the CSS hints. I'm almost halfway tempted to throw
an upgrade nastygram to NS 4.7x users, but I'm curious if I should provide
at least some sort of compatibility for them, especially since Red Hat is
now only just removing NS 4.7x from their distro (and other distros might
still install it by default).

Thoughts? TIA.