[ale] gentoo lunix?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Aug 7 07:41:37 EDT 2002

Bill Sirinek wrote:
> I'm a Debian sid user who's temporarily playing around with Gentoo until
> Debian gets back in gear and releases an official KDE3 and updated GCC in
> sid.
>
> Gentoo and Debian are nice systems for people like me who want ALL their
> installed software to be under package management, but at least with Debian,
> I dont have to waste my time building stuff. If I wanted to do that, I'd run
> Slackware or something. I've got better things to do than sit and wait for
> software to build all day for what's AT BEST a minor performance improvement.
>
> It really boils down to how much time you have and how you feel about building
> from source rather than downloading binaries.

I'm not sure how much 'baby-sitting' is really necessary.  I did an
install of Red Hat on a p166 the other day.  I knew it was going to take
a while, so I'd just check it every now and then.  when it actually
started installing the packages, I went to bed and returned the next
morning with that part of the process complete.

I've heard enough about Gentoo, I'll be doing an install shortly, and
will take the same approach.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net