[ale] (slightly) [OT]: PC->PVR

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Fri Aug 2 17:56:42 EDT 2002

[...]

    Fulton> When I asked the question in the last ALE-Central meeting
    Fulton> about Linux-based PC-to-PVR sol'ns, Dennis Boylan
    Fulton> mentioned the ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder card and someone
    Fulton> else mentioned Hauppauge's WinTV product suite (which at
    Fulton> least some of which is confirmed to work with
    Fulton> Linux). Those two and three other solutions are mentioned
    Fulton> in this article.

        I've had a WinTV Go card for about two years now.  It's cheap
(I think I paid about $55 for mine) and works pretty well under
linux.  It's the lower end model so it's only mono and has only RCA
video in (in addition to the cable / antenna connection, of course).

        As for recording, I've had pretty good results with `at' and
`vcr' (http://www.stack.nl/~brama/vcr/).  The latter records DivX,
although I've had issues trying to fiddle with the compression
quality.  It's also lost sound partway through recording twice for
some reason I haven't taken the time to determine.  The defaults I've
managed to get it working with give decent, if somewhat grainy,
results at about 250-300M / half hour (92 minutes in 857027058 bytes
is the longest I've recorded; I love 60G drives :).

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
770 294-0820 (m)      |                                               U