[ale] adding a hard drive

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 1 17:30:56 EDT 2002

Assuming you've got ide drives, the first is /dev/hda, therefore your
partitions are /dev/hda1-/dev/hda?.  The second drive would be /dev/hdb.

The easiest way to check it out is run fdisk /dev/hdb.  Then enter 'p'
to list the current partitions.  Enter 'q' to exit fdisk.

You can either add mount info to your /etc/fstab file to permit you to
mount the old drives partitions easily, or you can mount them by passing
the proper parms to mount, as in:

mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb1 /tmpmnt

Mind you, that's assuming your drives are ext2, they may be ext3 or
reiserfs.  Anyway, that should get you started.  Check the man page for
mount for more assistance.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net