[ale] OT: Office lighting

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 30 14:34:27 EDT 2002

Geoffrey wrote:

> >       So flourescent lights flicker 5 times FASTER than a convention
> > movie in a movie theater.  Somehow, I don't think it's the flicker rate.
>
> Then again, can't recall the last time I spent 10 hours in a movie
> theater, or in front of a TV either. :)

What, you skipped the Mega-Midnight-Marathon of all four
Star Wars movies when they released Episode 1???

What you need is "slow glass" <URL: http://www.slow-glass.com>.
It's based on the same technology as the Shuttle tiles, but
it works in optical frequencies. A slowglass window of the
proper thickness will transmit outdoor light to the interior
of your office with a 12-hour delay, so you can put a slowglass
window next to a regular one and have natural light in your
office 24 hours a day. Twin skylights work really well.

The other option would be to buy sunlight from one of
the big utilities that import the stuff from
Europe and Asia and resell it here at night. That's a
little pricy, but it should get a lot cheaper next year
when the TransPacific Light Pipe is completed.

</deadpan>

Cheers,

-- Joe
    Any sufficiently broken OS is indistinguishable from Windows.