[ale] Authentication failed and ssh_host_key

Swantje Willms swillms at mail.sis.pitt.edu
Mon Apr 29 21:47:25 EDT 2002

Hi ALErs,
I hope you can help me with a problem I have. I have made some google
searches to find info, but nothing that seems to apply to my problem
comes up.

When I try to do startx (as any normal user), I get the following error
message:
"Authentication failed - cannot start X server. Perhaps you do not have
console ownership?"
and a little later
"giving up
xinit: Connection refused (errno111): unable to connect to Xserver
xinit: No such process (errno): Server error"

When booting, I get a failure here:
"Could not load /etc/ssh_host_key check path and permissions".

Could the two be related?

I have checked and that file (ssh_host_key) is actually not there, but on
my other machine it doesn't exist and that machine works just fine.
/etc/ssh/ssh_host_key does exist.

Usually we run Linux (Redhat 7.0) all the time, but just before the
problem started we burned our first CD under Windows. Could that have
damaged something in the Linux partitions?

Thanks,
Swantje