[ale] best dist for firewall?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 29 17:40:52 EDT 2002

John Wells wrote:

> I'm setting up a firewall on a 120mhz, 16meg machine.  I'd like to run
> iptables, snort/acid and a mysql db to store the snort info.
>
> Any recommended distros?  It'd be nice to get something minimal (possibly
> tightened) but with the 2.4 kernel (for the stateful firewalling
> capabilities).  I considered Slackware or Debian and then upgrading the
> kernel, but the thought of compiling on a 120mhz machine is not a happy one.

So build it on a fast machine, after configuring for 486 CPU,
and copy it over and run LILO.

I remember my first kernel compile, back in '92, on
a 4MB 486/33. It took somewhere in the neigborhood of
seven hours; today I think we would call that a
"character-building experience."

Cheers,

-- Joe
  Using open-source software: free.