[ale] rpm questions........

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Apr 27 17:24:42 EDT 2002

The README in the kernel source lists the minimum versions of modutils
and friends required for that kernel. Without doing the up2date, which
will work as long as there is not too much Ximian installed, I recommend
the following process:

Make a new directory for the updated rpm's of the needed components.
>From that directory run "rpm -Uvh *.rpm". Anything it wines about, get
and put in that directory. Repeat the "rpm -Uvh *.rpm". Repeat this
process until the rpm suceeds. Then recompile the kernel and modules and
make modules_install should run smoothly.

As you seem to run mostly server machines, I would recommend the up2date
process for everything but the kernel. By default, the kernel.rpm is not
included in the up2date process. RedHat is pretty good at having a
working upgrade path for their product.

There are also some other up2date-like scripts. Autorpm is one I used at
Emory to keep 35 machines current automatically by checking with my
customized pool location. There are several other application similar.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>