[ale] Can someone help me understand memory usage?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Apr 26 07:53:56 EDT 2002

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Yeah, but 2.4 kernels are "greedier" than 2.2 and before.  As I
> understand it, you can no longer view gobs and gobs of free RAM as a
> sign of system health.  Rather, the OS stakes out big swaths of
> otherwise unused RAM and hangs onto it.  And, eventually, it will start
> filling up swap.  However, this is not so much a sign of impending
> meltdown as the kernel going, "hm, here's a section of RAM that hasn't
> been used in hours; I'm throwing it to the swap file."

I don't know how 2.4 kernels have changed, but either I don't understand
what you've just said, or I think it's a poor direction to head.  The
LAST thing the OS should do is use swap.  It should look for unused
memory and take advantage of it.  Using swap is kinda like you've got a
bus load of folks and their's no more room, so you take the bicycle off
the roof rack and hand it to the next guy trying to get on the bus.
AND, the bus then stays behind the guy on the bike.  Point being, using
swap slows down everything.

Did I misunderstand your statement, or are you saying the OS will use up
memory quickly because of the allocated chunk sizes, therefore hit the
swap much sooner than it used to???

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net