[ale] Question about Linux on a dinosaur

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Thu Apr 25 22:21:31 EDT 2002

Jeb at rev-x.com wrote:

> Aler's,
>

> At work, we can finally get rid of an aging dinosaur our AS400,
> thanks to the FBI finally being able to burn us a flat file on a cdr
> (after we purchased one for them).  This is another long story.
> Anyway back to the point, we were discussing surplusing the dinosaur,
> but this would be a waste.  I know of blades (motherboards, i guess)
> that we allow the beast to run NT.  Can the same be done with Linux ?
>  Is it worth it ?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Jeb

Doesn't look like you have a good path forward.  I found this -
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/ - search for "AS/400" and see what they say
there.  Follow that link and you'll see that the Linux port project has
been moribund for about a year.

I'd say, eBay that bad boy and use the money to pick up something else
that you can at least have some fun trying with...like THIS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2018911220

(I used to work with one of these before I was into Linux full-time and
I always wondered how or IF SMP Linux would run...)

- Jeff