[ale] Dumb question - file transfer over SSH?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 25 12:27:58 EDT 2002

Charles Marcus wrote:

> [...]

scp works basically *exactly* like cp: it takes the
first file and copies it to the second, assuming
the current directory unless you provide a path. So
I'll copy the file address.txt from "me"'s home dir
on host "faraway" to my local dir, then copy it to
the /tmp dir on host "somewhere-else":

C:> scp me at faraway:~/address.txt address.txt
Password: ...
C:> type ./address.txt
This is my address file...
C:> scp address.txt me at somewhere-else:/tmp/address.txt
Password: ...
C:> ssh -l me somewhere-else
me at somewhere-else:~ > ls /tmp/address.txt
/tmp/address.txt

Cheers,

-- Joe
  Using open-source software: free.