[ale] Dumb question - file transfer over SSH?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Apr 25 07:24:08 EDT 2002

Take a look at sftp or scp.

John

---------  Original message --------
From: Charles Marcus <CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com>
To: ale at ale.org
To: Ale (E-mail) <ale at ale.org>
Subject: [ale] Dumb question - file transfer over SSH?
Date: 04-25-02 14:59

> OK, I've always been lazy and done file transfers using ftp GUIs (usually
browser, sometimes AbsoluteFTP).

Well, our FTP server was compromised last night, and the guys who are
hosting
us shut down FTP service, so now all I have SSH access.  So, my dumb
question
is:

How do I use scp to copy a file from there to here and vice versa?

I am behind a firewall and would really rather not open-up/forward any ports
if I don't have to.  I was hoping that since I was already connected through
SSH, there was a simple way to 'grab' or 'out' a file using the existing SSH
connection.

Anyone?

thanks

charles