[ale] WINE guru?

Michael Golden naugrim at subdimension.com
Wed Apr 24 22:43:39 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 23:49, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> I am getting this error message when I try to WINE a software program. Is
> this the error message of death, or can I do something to get this program
> running under Linux. Any veteran WINE users out there that can help me?
> TIA

	I'm sure you've read that wine is still in alpha development and that
not all applications work right with it. I can attest that this is true.
A small percentage of problems can be fixed through different tricks
with configuration and such.
	In your case however, it's not quite that simple. The InstallShield
program has been known to be problematic for a good while now. There is
work to try to get it working but it's not completed yet. I might advise
you try WineX from Transgaming (www.transgaming.com) for the
installation. It is designed for games but I think they have some hacks
in their tree to make InstallShield work.
	Other than that, just try wine CVS or releases every once in a while
and hope it works. Don't bother complaining to the developers though.
They know it is a problem and they work so hard on wine and are trying
to fix it but it is much easier said than done.

Michael