[ale] chown operation not permitted

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Apr 24 10:14:58 EDT 2002

It's through a shell using ssh

---------  Original message --------
From: John C <jcouncilman at knology.net>
To: ale at ale.org
To: John Wells <jb at sourceillustrated.com>, ale at ale.org <ale at ale.org>
Subject: RE: [ale] chown operation not permitted
Date: 04-24-02 18:04

> Is this on FTP or through shell access?

-----Original Message-----
From: John Wells [mailto:jb at sourceillustrated.com]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 6:25 AM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: [ale] chown operation not permitted

I'm trying to change ownership of a file on my ISP's box.  I own the file,
but when I attempt to change it I get an &quot;operation not permitted&quot;
error.

I remember in the past being able to disable non-root chowns on Solaris and
I'm betting there's a way to set this under Linux.  For the life of me, I
can't remember how.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info about this?

Thanks,
John

sent to listmaster at ale dot org.