[ale] ALS 2002

Chris Farris chrisf at primeharbor.com
Wed Apr 24 11:55:44 EDT 2002

That didn't stop the original group from getting started.

> what is required to setup a booth/presentation?
Are you asking about this from an exhibitor or show management
standpoint?

> what is recommended in addition to the above?
> how much needs to be setup in advance?
Almost everything.

> has a date been established?
My cynical nature says never - but don't hold me to that.

> --- tom hawks <thawk80 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > If anyone is interested, lets make sure this happens
> > this year. It doesnt have to be as large as previous
> > years. We could have a series of HOWTOs to educate
> > people about the various things that Linux can do.
> > We could set up a mini-LAN so people can use Linux
> > and each computer configured with a different KDE,
> > Gnome, Ximian, etc. Finally we could have speaker
> > come in and talk to the group. I am sure there is a
> > little corporate money out there to help out.
> > What do you guys think?

First, I suspect you are wrong about the little corporate money. If any
exists I doubt it would be given to an ALS like event. But I'd be happy
to be proven wrong.

That said, your description above sounds a lot like an install fest or
geekoff. That could be incredibly cheap to do, if done right. First you
need to find a university to give you free space. Second you need a
gaggle of volunteers that have _initiative_ to do these howtos and
mini-lans. Third you need to find either local speakers or speakers who
have the budget to fly themselves down.

So any money you get you will spend on advertising the event.

Chris

--
Chris Farris, CISSP
PrimeHarbor Technologies