[ale] OT: Taxing issues

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Tue Apr 23 18:50:25 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 05:09 pm, you wrote:
> Without a tax who would pay for the following:
>
> Roads
> Military
> Social Services
>

> We did not pay income tax in the 1800s but we do not have the
> services we have now.  I too agree that the income tax is a PIA.  But
> we should have at least some tax.  I'm for a flat tax.  I'm not for
> a federal sales tax.  Besides the local goverments will just add 8% on top
> of that.

Consider this: the machinery for collecting sales tax already
exists and works in almost all states. Adding a percentage to
the amount collected would be very simple. So that does away
with the IRS, and saves billion$, right off the bat.

Secondly, people who cheat on their taxes now, would continue
to cheat if we had a flat tax. However, sales taxes aren't so
easy to avoid. How many drug dealers do you think report their
true income? Make 'em pay when they buy that luxury auto.

But Congress will never go for a flat tax. They may
ADD ON a national sales tax, but they won't do away
with the IRS.

Regards,
Irv