[ale] mandrake 8.0 wackiness

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 23 15:29:15 EDT 2002

How did you run fsck? You may have a bad block somewhere on the hard drive.
This will give you errors everytime some process tries to access that block.
If you run fsck like so:

fsck -c -y

You will flag the bad blocks so that no process will try to access them. I had
this problem a couple of weeks ago. It caused fsck to run every time I
re-booted, even though I had rebooted cleanly. It also prevented me from
installing certain rpm's. Aside from that, I had symptoms very much like
yours. Things would seem to be running okay and then programs would start
throwing errors and lock up. Try running fsck with the above flags. It takes
awhile, but it solved all of my problems.