[ale] mandrake 8.0 wackiness

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Tue Apr 23 15:12:17 EDT 2002

Hi folks,
    Last night I got ambitious and finally (FINALLY!) figured out how to
configure SAMBA on my home LAN.  Now, both my Macs and my Windows boxes can
take advantage of the Linux box for printing/file sharing.  I noticed this
morning that the Linux box (all SCSI hardware in an old Packard Bell Legend
Supreme 1800...sounds like a pizza...) was throwing all kinds of error
messages on the screen.  All were disk I/O related...really screwy.  I
usually leave the Linux box alone with no users logged in, and it just does
its thing acting as my DSL gateway.  However, recently I gave it a SCSI CDR
and re-installed the OS on newer SCSI drives (just after the last
InstallFest).  All was fine until I fired up the smb/nmb daemons last night.
I'm not sure if SAMBA is the cause of the error messages.  I was unable to
login to the console, so I had to kill the power.  Rebooted and it ran fsck,
which found errors and fixed them all.  I let if finish booting, then shut
it down the correct way and did a cold restart.  All was well for about 10
minutes, then the error messages again.  I haven't had time to look yet at
the logs.  Could this be simply bad hardware?  Really odd.

-Bob K.
--
Robert E. Karaffa, II
e-mail: rkaraff at emory.edu