[ale] OT: Taxing issues

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Tue Apr 23 13:58:42 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 12:13 pm, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 April 2002 11:28 am, Joseph A Knapka wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be nice if we just had a nationwide
> > 20% sales tax, and ditch the IRS?
>
> The Russian Republic adopted a 13% flat income tax last year. By all
> reports, it has been a screaming success. Compliance, which used to be
> miserably low, is way up and so are revenues. Steve Forbes may have had the
> right idea after all.

Even better, from the standpoint of enforcement, would be a flat sales tax.
That way, you get something back from the drug dealers and other assorted
illegal businesses, who now pay zero income tax. And, if someone would
rather save their money instead of spending it all, they'd get to keep more
of their income.  Taking some of the strain off social security.

Guess that's too logical for Congress.

Regards,
Irv