[ale] Ximian

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Tue Apr 23 12:58:08 EDT 2002

Mandrake 8.2 had it in for me, so I went back to 8.1 and installed
Ximian GNOME desktop.  I've been using it for a couple days now.  So far
it's working very well.

I have not seen KDE3 yet.  My opinion is that KDE has always had the
most stable and polished system interface, but GNOME always has the best
apps.  IIRC, GNOME was designed to make things easy for app writers.
The "killer apps" for me are Evolution (email/organizer), Galeon
(browser), Pan (newsreader), and Glimmer (code editor).  Ximian turned
out to be the easiest route to getting these up and running, so for me
it was a no-brainer.

Krum