[ale] OT: Taxing issues

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Tue Apr 23 11:52:07 EDT 2002

Hi Joe -

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Joseph A Knapka wrote:

> Anyway, I submitted my tax return via ezTaxReturn.com,
> which really was "EZ". But the IRS rejected it.
> I noticed that the W-2 with the $0.46 income was
> being rounded down to $0, so I deleted it from
> my on-line return, and the IRS then accepted the
> return.

I had the converse experience. A brain-dead insurance company had decided
my name was close enough to one of their lost policy holders to be
credited with an insurance dividend. When I complained, they confirmed
that my SS# was indeed different from their policy holder, AND THEY
CHANGED THEIR RECORDS TO USE MY SS NUMBER. ^%$#@!!
 [ ohh - sorry for shouting ]

Finally I got corrected forms showing a $0.00 distribution to their
subscriber's name and my SS#. (This involved _quite_a_few_ phone calls!)

Then I forgot the whole thing and didn't mention those forms when I
e-filed my 1040. I remembered after hitting 'SUBMIT', naturally, but by
then it was too late.

My form was accepted without the bogus dividend, and otherwise - judging
from your story - I could have been expen$ively late.

> So the question is, is it acceptable to not report
> income of under $1? If I had sent a paper 1040A
> to the IRS with both of those physical W-2's
> stapled to it, would they have rejected *that*
> and insisted I take back the GA W-2??? Am I
> setting myself up for a lifetime of IRS harrassment
> by not reporting that income?

I guess it is not acceptable to report figures less than $1.00
electronically.

 - John Mills