[ale] X Windows

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Tue Apr 23 07:45:23 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 07:23 am, you wrote:
> John LaPierre wrote:
> >>I usually just edit etc/x11/XF86Config-4, and add the resolution
> >>mode(s) I want...
> >
> > I have an S3 Virge on one of my boxes, circa 1997. I have to run the
> > XFree86 ver. 3.3.6 to get the 1024 resolution. Are you sure your not
> > editing the XF86Config-4 while the xserver is really running on the
> > XF86Config file?

I deleted XF86Config  - it isn't used in Mandrake 8.1,
as far as I can tell. XF86Config-4 controls everything..

> You should be able to determine which config file is used by viewing the
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log file.
>
> Also, all the distros have gui config tools, Mandrake has
> /usr/sbin/XFdrake.

Yes, but it, like the setup routine in the install, only sets up one
resolution, wiping out any previously set. To get multiple resolutions
(ctl-alt-+) the only sure wayI have found is to manually add them to
XF86Config-4.  And I just can't work without multiple resolutions.

Regards,
Irv