[ale] LUG in Columbus

SLane at weather.com SLane at weather.com
Mon Apr 22 09:54:33 EDT 2002

does anyone know if there is any significant business use of Linux in Columbus
(TSYS, AFLAC, etc.)?

I think it would be really cool to do some proof of concept stuff for TSYS on
replacing their 390 environment with something like a perl/mySQL/Mosix
architecture.  I know they'd never go for it but I bet it could be done and
would save them a pile (I know we have).

can one actually earn a living as a Linux professional down there?

not knocking Columbus (most of my family lives there; love Mike & Ed's ;-), just
curious...

Sid Lane
DBA - Site Operations
weather.com

                      John LaPierre
                      <jjlapierre at knol         To:      ALE <ale at ale.org>
                      ogy.net>                 cc:
                                               Subject: [ale] LUG in Columbus
                      04/19/2002 07:05
                      PM

Hello All -

A couple of us Linux users down here in Columbus Ga are trying to drum up
some interest in a local LUG, and would value your input and advice. We felt
that an Install-fest may be a way to generate up some interest initially. Any
advice?

btw - At the last ale-nw meeting, some expressed interest in dvd ripping on
Linux. Ken has the technique posted on his site:

http://www.shaolinuxtemple.org/dvdripping.html

Thanks -

John L

sent to listmaster at ale dot org.