[ale] Certs for consultants

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 22 02:07:13 EDT 2002

Hi folks,

We've had a couple of discussions about professional
certifications recently, but I'd like to ask the
question from a slightly different angle:

I am considering going into business for myself as
an IT consultant (software development, networking,
database administration). I already have many
years of professional experience in these areas,
though my main focus has been SW development. I
have been with the same employer for 10 years. Under
those conditions, would it be to my advantage as
a fledgling independent consultant to acquire some
certs?

I think I can pick up the Oracle8/9i DBA and Java
Programmer certs without much ado, but am wondering
whether it would be worth the $$$. I might pick up
a Linux-oriented one too, as I intend (if I even do
this; it's way up in the air at present) to
concentrate heavily on the open-source arena.

Opinions, especially from folks who are involved
in hiring consultants, are appreciated.
(And in the unlikely event that anyone from my
employer is reading this, no, I don't plan
to quit anytime soon; any such change is at least
a year away, if not longer.)

Thanks,

-- Joe
  Using open-source software: free.