[ale] More problems with Mandrake 8.2

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Sat Apr 20 19:23:23 EDT 2002

My DHCP server is my Linux firewall/router.  I always use runlevel 3.

I tried installing Mandrake 8.2 once again.  It did the same screwy
things it did the last time I tried installing it on this machine.  So I
installed Mandrake 8.1 and tried 8.2's "upgrade" and "upgrade packages
only" options.  Both complained about being unable to install most of
the new packages (no reason given).  After verifying my checksums one
more time, I threw the 8.2 CDs in the trash where they belong.

I ended up doing another install of 8.1 with KDE, leaving out GNOME and
all the GNOME apps I love so well.  Then I did a net install of Ximian
GNOME Desktop.  After figuring out that my /var partition was too small
to hold all the temp files, it installed very nicely.  Now I have the
latest and greatest versions of Evolution and all that stuff.

Unfortunately, Evolution did not work out of the box.  After a little
research on Google, I figured out that I was missing
gnome-gtkhtml-editor.  I got the Mandrake Cooker version of gtkhtml
(along with its dependency, libcapplet1) and now everything seems to be
running perfectly.

There have been lots of bug fixes since 8.1 so I still have some work to
do.  I've set MALLOC_CHECK_ in rc.sysinit to protect against the recent
zlib bug.  I'm guessing that doesn't cause a significant performance hit
for a workstation.  (Just a slight hit whenever an app frees some heap
memory.)

I'm very satisfied with my installation, finally!

Krum